A traditional knowledge is important for the sustainability of available natural resources including water, forests and landscapes. The current confined periphery of the Jim Corbett National Park and its surroundings was known for its diversity of wildlife and scenic beauty for more than a hundred years ago. Let's go back to beginnings when efforts to save the identified regions of the forests started in the 19th century under the guidance of Major Ramsay. He was the British officer who held the responsibility and appointed the In-charge of the area during those times. British forest department of those times made a control over the demarcated land and prohibited cultivation and the operation of cattle stations. It was the year of 1868 when the first step in the preservation of this area begun. Soon after in the year of1879 these forests were turned into Reserved Forest Area where restricted felling was permitted.
The idea of setting up of a National Park on this magical soil was suggested by the several Britishers, including E.R. Stevans and E.A. Smythies in the early 1900s. Then after British Administration took initiative and considered the possibility of establishing a game reserve in 1907. It was the year of 1930 when the process of demarcation of identified area went underway under the excellent supervision of Sir Edward Jim Corbett, who knew the area very well.
Situated on the Ramganga river bank, the FRH offers you an astounding view of the river bank along with a chance to sight many animals and witness their activities near the river bed. More often than not, the king of the forest, the tiger gets sighted near the river bank who visits either for drinking water or in search of its prey. The herds of elephants can also be seen around the river drinking water or bathing and playing in the water. This place is also a paradise for bird lovers as one can get amazing birding opportunity nearby the forest home.
The National Park act was finally came into effect in 1935 when Sir Macolm Hailey was Governor of the province and hence first National Park of Asia came into existence as Hailey National Park. After the independence the park was known with the name of Ramganga National Park for a brief (1952-1957) period of time. In 1956 the park was again renamed as the Jim Corbett National Park as a tribute to the legendary Sir Edward Jim Corbett. Hunting activity was made strictly prohibited activity only timbers cutting for domestic purpose were allowed.
Another golden day added in the history of Corbett when in 1973 Corbett Named Park was considered for the launch pad for India's Tiger Protection program and hence become the India's first Tiger Reserve.