Trip to Mukteshwar Anchored with Wildlife Experience at Jim Corbett
Nainital is a usual destination for tourists coming to imbibe the wildlife sightings at Jim Corbett. A day trip to Nainital from Jim Corbett is a part of the regular itinerary. However, 50km beyond Nainital, lies Mukteshwar, a small town adorned with enchanting scenic beauty. the township is named after the revered Mukteshwar Temple, where Lord Shiva is the presiding deity. Mukteshwar, nestled in the Kumaon hills of Uttarakhand, is a serene destination offering a perfect blend of natural beauty and tranquillity. The town is renowned for its breathtaking views of the snow-capped Himalayan peaks, including Nanda Devi and Trishul. Mukteshwar is a haven for nature lovers, with lush orchards, dense forests, and winding trails that provide an ideal setting for trekking and exploration. The charm of Mukteshwar is amplified by its colonial architecture and the iconic Mukteshwar Temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. Visitors can also enjoy the picturesque landscapes from the Chauli Ki Jali, a cliff offering panoramic views. Whether seeking adventure or seeking solace, a trip to Mukteshwar promises a rejuvenating experience in the lap of nature.
If you are planning a trip to Mukteshwar along with Jim Corbett, then the itinerary begins from the national park. Including a day trip to Nainital is an option, as Nainital can be visited separately as a weekend getaway from Delhi or other neighbouring cities. The nearest railway station to Jim Corbett is at Ramanagar. Arrive at Jim Corbett to enjoy the vivid flora and fauna through a jeep safari. Other than wildlife safari, other tourist attractions of Jim Corbett National Park are Garjiya Devi Temple, Corbett Falls, Corbett Museum and the Kosi River. The Best Time to Visit Corbett is from November to March, perfect for enjoying the cool weather along with the visual treats of wildlife. From Jim Corbett head to Mukteshwar located about 113 km from the national park. While returning from Mukteshwar, Kathgodam Railway Station and Pantnagar Airport are the nearby railhead and airport respectively.
Top attractions of Muteshwar
- Mukteshwar Temple – Situated in the town of Mukteshwar in the Kumaon region of Uttarakhand. Lord Shiva is the presiding deity of Mukteshwar Temple and is considered a sacred pilgrimage site. The term “Mukteshwar” means “Lord of Salvation.” The temple showcases intricate Kumaoni architecture, with a white marble Shivlinga surrounded by idols of other deities. The temple complex offers stunning views of the surrounding Himalayan peaks.
- Chauthi ki Jali – Chauthi ki Jali is located adjacent to the Mukteshwar Temple. Being perched atop a hill, the spot offers the enticing scenic beauty of the Kumaoni valley. The cliff top is a lattice-like structure with a hole and is believed to hold great spiritual significance. Chausath ki Jali witnesses a huge footfall of women during Mahashivaratri.
- Indian Veterinary Research Institute – Located at an altitude of 7620 ft, amid the greenery of Kumaoni hills IVRI is a premier institute dedicated to advancements in veterinary science. It contributes to research in animal health, livestock production, and disease prevention. The institute also houses a library and veterinary museum, with rich information about various species of flora and fauna, making it an interesting visit for those interested in wildlife.
- Dhanachuli – Dhanachuli is a scenic village near Mukteshwar, approximately 10 km away. Dhanachuli is known for its traditional Kumaoni architecture, with charming wooden houses and narrow lanes. The village offers a peaceful retreat with apple orchards and terraced fields against the backdrop of the Himalayas. Visitors can experience the local way of life, including traditional Kumaoni cuisine and cultural practices.
- Baalu Ghad Waterfalls – Situated near the town of Mukteshwar, the Bhalu Gaad waterfall is a trekking destination. The trek to Bhalu Gaad is a moderate trek through dense forests, providing an immersive experience in nature. The waterfall, surrounded by lush greenery, offers a refreshing sight and a peaceful ambiance.