World Animal Welfare Day 2022, Here’s All Significance to Know
A Social movement called World Animal Day aims to improve global animal welfare standards by elevating the status of animals and is celebrated on October 4 every year. In celebration of World Animal Day, businesses, welfare groups, youth clubs, and individuals are encouraged to hold events to raise awareness of animal welfare issues to become a vital catalyst for change.
Why is World Animal Welfare Day celebrated?
Every year, on 4 October, World Animal Welfare Day is celebrated worldwide to raise awareness about animal rights and welfare and to prevent cruelty to animals. It was first celebrated in the year 1929 and was started by the German author and publisher, Heinrich Zimmermann with the aim of spreading awareness about the welfare of animals.
The Day is also celebrated for many other purposes as well, like:
- Prevention of human cruelty to animals.
- Improving the conditions of animals and respecting their feelings.
- Prevention of forests created by nature for animals.
- Safeguarding the species which are on the verge of extinction.
- Conservation and Promotion of veterinary medicines.
Theme of World Animal Welfare Day 2022
Every year, World Animal Day revolves around a particular theme, through which people become aware or focus on a specific issue. This year the theme of World Animal Welfare Day 2022 is “Recovering Key Species for Ecosystem Restoration”.
History of World Animal Welfare Day
For the first time on March 24, 1925, Zimmermann organized an event at the Sports Palace in Berlin. The Event was attended by over 5,000 people and was scheduled for October 4, to align with the fest day of Saint Francis of Assisi.
In Florence, Italy, World Animal Day became global during a world protection organization conference in the year 1931. The Day was celebrated and even involved school children in its event, in the year 2002 by the Finnish Association of Animal Protection Associations.
Significance of World Animal Welfare Day
Animals play a crucial role in maintaining the ecological balance by bringing about human wellness in the environment. Recognizing the importance of World Animal Day makes sure that progress continues to be made to provide the animals with better rescue shelters, launching better animal welfare programs, and raise necessary funds for them.
How World Animal Welfare Day is Celebrated Worldwide?
- In different parts of the world, World Animal Day is celebrated in different ways, and various programs and activities are organized too.
- Many animal awareness programs, marathons, and campaigns to stop animal cruelty and harassment are organized.
- Apart from this work, events for adopting pets, providing them some assistance and shelter to homeless animals are also organized and spread awareness.
- Also, many conferences and seminars are also arranged for animal organizations, and laws are being made and discussed with the people.
Hence, to maintain the ecological balance on the Earth it is very necessary to maintain the balance between man, animal, and plants!!
About Author: –
Shivangi Rai is a travel writer who loves to share her travel experiences and memoirs with the audience. She desires to explore every nook and corner of India with a fascination, especially with tourism and trekking.