Your Trip to Ramnagar is Incomplete Without These Things
Despite there being places like Nainital, Ranikhet, Bhimtal etc., Ramnagar attracts its fair share of the crowd. This small town in Uttarakhand is famous for being the gateway to one of the oldest national parks in India, the Jim Corbett National Park. Ramnagar falls in the Nainital district of the Kumaon region of Uttarakhand and is situated on the banks of the Kosi river. Several tourists come to this small town every year to catch a glimpse of the majestic Royal Bengal Tigers. To make the best of your trip, it is important that you take time out to visit all the exciting places in and near Ramnagar.
The town is famous for its fruit orchards. During the summer season (April-June), though temperatures are high, you can see luscious litchis and juicy mangoes being grown in orchards on the roadside. The region experiences heavy rainfall during monsoon months and therefore traveling is not recommended during July-August. Moreover, safari at Jim Corbett National Park is also closed during this time, which is one of the major reasons for people to visit this place. Though winters are a bit harsh, they along with summers are the time when most tourists throng this place.
For tourists planning a trip to Jim Corbett National Park, Ramnagar is the preferred place to stay. While in the town, you can also explore other attractions located nearby including Garjia temple, Dikala, Durga Mandir temple etc.
Some of the most popular activities to do and places to visit in Ramnagar include:
- Jim Corbett National Park – Located merely 1.2 km from the town, it is the major tourist attraction. Spread over 520 sq. km. of area, the park is home to more than 500 groups of birds, 25 reptile species and 50 categories of mammals including the famed Royal Bengal tigers. The woodlands offer a different vista in different seasons. Safari at Jim Corbett National Park is a must for tourists, especially in the Dhikala zone, which is considered the best amongst all. Apart from tigers, lucky tourists can spot sloth bears, black bear and different types of avian flora of the region. November to February is considered the best time to visit the region, though chances of sighting the wildlife in summers is also high.
- Corbett waterfall – If you thought Ramnagar was only about Jim Corbett National Park, then you are mistaken. Corbett waterfall is another attraction located near Ramnagar that offers an excellent spot to relax amidst nature. To reach the waterfall, you need to trek 1.5 km. It is a popular picnic spot and locals frequently visit this place. People can also swim in the pond formed by the waterfall. The water falls from a height of 65.6 feet and offers a mesmerizing view.
- Corbett museum – If you wish to know more about the region, a visit to the museum is a must. Corbett Museum, located in the Kaladhungi area, provides you with interesting facts about the national park as well as about the founder, Jim Corbett. The museum is in Jim Corbett’s bungalow. Apart from getting to know the animals hunted down by Corbett, you can also buy handicrafts and artifacts from here.
- Sitabani forest – For bird lovers, Sitabani forest is a must-visit on the trip to Ramnagar. This is the only region of Jim Corbett National Park that can be explored on foot. These forests are a birdwatcher’s delight where several rare birds can be observed. The forest also holds religious significance for Hindus as it is considered that Devi Sita spent time here. Elephant safari is also available here after proper authorization.
- Kosi riverbank -Jim Corbett National Park is surrounded by the Kosi river which is the perfect place to relax after exploring the park. You can indulge in some fishing here, after getting the required permission from authorities. You can observe several birds, as well as other wild animals near the river as a watering hole like this, attract wildlife, especially during summer months.
- Camp Kyari – Since eco and village tourism have gained popularity, a visit to Camp Kyari is recommended to tourists. Situated in the Kyari village near Ramnagar, you can indulge in several adventurous activities while enjoying your stay here. apart from living in camps amidst natural surroundings, you can go for rafting, trekking, cycling, hiking etc.
- Hanuman Dham – An architectural masterpiece dedicated to Lord Hanuman; this temple is located near Ramnagar. The temple has a spectacular design with intricate carvings that attracts several tourists. Located merely 7.5km from Ramnagar, the temple has peaceful surroundings and tourists can enjoy meditating here.
Apart from these attractions, there are other tourist spots located in the vicinity of Ramnagar that can be explored by tourists. These include Kashipur, Haldwani, Almora, Mukteshwar, Ranikhet and Nainital. Mussoorie, famed for Kempty falls can also be visited.